I worked on a new team to expand an existing pharmacy solution for mail orders. Since this was a new domain for me, I visited some pharmacies and interviewed pharmacists and techs to get a better understanding of their workflow and their need for efficiency.
One feature we needed to enhance was the ability to scan in various documents that customers would mail in to get their prescriptions fulfilled. I started with several hand drawn sketches to work through various flows and layouts. Along the way, I was able to review my design ideas and flows with customers to ensure it fit with their processes.
I followed my usual process of sketches and wireframes before moving to a hi-fi design. I ran a usability test, which was not part of the normal process, as I felt it was crucial for this scanning functionality. I was able to gather feedback and validate what we were designing was intuitive and helped users to maintain a high level of productivity and accuracy.